Go Dad Go!

A self-important blog about riding bikes, raising kids and the all-too-rare nexus of these two pursuits.

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Catie's Card for Karen


You don't play favorites with your kids -- of course. I don't know that I could bring myself to do so, even if I didn't think that it would severely stunt their upbringing into well-adjusted individuals and family members.

But they do shine at different times; Karen and I talk about one kid being "up," another one being "down." Fortunately, they're very rarely all "down" (given to tantrums, grouchy, bellicose) -- but then, I'm not sure I can remember when they've all been "up."

Right now Catie's up. I love all three equally (again: of course); Declan's my little buddy, and keeps us in stitches, and Mack's my guy, in whom I see myself, in whom I have stored so much hope and faith. But Catie...she's a light; a star. She's beautiful, and sweet, and these days it's almost like she's figured it out -- just how to make me and Karen happy, how to push the right buttons.

For example: recently she was spending time with Karen, who was in our extra room, toiling away at auction duties. Karen said to Catie, "This is what it would be like if I had a job, and you visited me at work; I'd have to keep working, and wouldn't necessarily be able to spend a lot of time talking to you."

If you know us, you know that this is a pretty loaded situation and conversation for mother and daughter to share. Karen hasn't worked full-time for eight and a half years, and as we contemplate her going back to work, we're all aware that it could represent a big change for our routine, and really for our life together. We have a nice deal going, and even the kids understand that changing it could bring some discomfort.

Later that day Catie delivered a card she'd made to Karen. I've pasted a photo here, but in case you can't see it, it reads (in about fourteen different colors), "Dear mom you area a Grate mom and even if [you] get a job I will still think you [are] a Grate mom. Love, Catie." And there's a picture on the facing side of the card, evidently a mom and her daughter, walking hand in hand amid flowers and beneath fluffy clouds, the sun and a rainbow.

Like I said, she's a star, and she knows just how to make us happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home